When you are eagerly awaiting boarding, you learn that your flight has been delayed unexpectedly. It is the point where you can become frustrated or annoyed because flight delay is one of the most inconvenient things that can happen during a trip. You might know when to book flights to Chicago or anywhere you are traveling but do you know what to do when your flight is delayed? Continue reading to find out.
Information is the Key
A flight delay is an unpleasant experience, but the right information from your travel agent, airline or any top travel agency can help you avoid any hassle. Hence, one of the most crucial things you can do when your flight is delayed is to stay informed. The first step is to monitor the status of your flight and any updates that the airline may provide. You can check the status of your flight in real time on the websites or apps of the majority of airlines. Always keep an eye on this, especially if the weather or other circumstances could affect your flight.
- Sign up for notifications from the airline.
- Opt to get text messages or push notifications on your phone.
- Follow the social media accounts of the airline.
- Keep checking the airline’s website.
By staying informed, you can be prepared for any changes in the status of your flight and adjust your plans accordingly. With this, you can also avoid unnecessary stress and frustration during a flight delay.
Knowing Your Rights
You must be aware of your rights as a passenger, especially when it comes to flight or airport delays. Depending on the policy of the airline and the cause of the delay, you might be eligible for compensation or a refund if your flight is delayed for a predetermined period of time.
Here’s what you must know to claim your rights:
- As per EU Regulation 261/2004, you may be entitled to compensation; if your flight departs from an EU airport or is operated by an EU airline and is delayed for more than three hours.
- As per the rules of the US Department of Transportation, if you’re flying to, from, or within the United States, airlines need to provide compensation for certain types of flight delays, which can be caused by overbooking or cancellations.
- If you are not entitled to a refund as mentioned above, there are some airlines that offer compensation or other benefits for flight delays. You must check the website of the concerned airline you are flying with to know more.
In some cases, you can not get any compensation if the flight delay happened because of weather conditions, air traffic control, or other external factors that are not in control of the airline. Airlines still try to compensate their passengers with some other benefits such as hotel accommodations or meal vouchers.
Also Read: Airport Food in USA
Look for Alternatives
It is advisable to consider all of your options to get to your destination as soon as possible. Looking for alternatives is one of the first things you must opt for when thinking what to do when your flight is delayed. You must check with your airline to see if they have any alternative flights available. Depending on the availability, they may be able to put you on another flight free of charge. If alternative flights are not available, then you can check with other airlines.
You have another option of changing the route to your destination. It can involve a layover or connecting flight. Although this may look like a hassle but can help you reach the place on time.
Keep Yourself Occupied
After trying everything, if you are still stuck at the airport and must wait for your flight, remember that flight delays are often beyond your control. You will not get anything out of getting angry or upset. You must keep the following things in mind while waiting at the airport:
- You must remain calm and composed while talking to the airline personnel. Anger can make things worse for you, so be polite while connecting with the staff.
- You must keep yourself occupied to spend time. You can catch up on reading, listen to music, or even work on your laptop. Keeping yourself occupied can help you in staying distracted from the delay and make the time go by faster.
Remember that flight delays are common during air travel. And sometimes you can not get an explanation for your query; why is my flight delayed? Hence, by cooperating with airline staff, you can make the most of your time during a flight delay without getting upset.
If you are traveling to the USA, then book cheap flights to USA with Indian Eagle. It is a top online flight booking company that has been offering affordable flights between USA and India.
You can also earn Indian Eagle rewards when you book flights from ORD to DEL or any other destination. So, why wait? Make use of the ongoing Indian Eagle deals to save more on your international flight booking.
|Disclaimer: Indian Eagle claims no credit for the images featured on its blog site. All the visual content is copyrighted to its respective owners only. We mention the source name of the image whenever possible and found. However, if we miss acknowledging the owner’s source, please contact us. In case, owners don’t want us to use their images, we will remove them promptly. We believe in providing proper attribution to the original author, artist, and photographer.|