India is a rich and diverse country with numerous cultures and traditions, making it an ideal adventure destination. That is why over a million US citizens visit the country each year. If you plan to visit India soon, then search for online discount travel sites for an affordable travel experience. You’ve probably heard of something known as the “OCI Card.” If you have but don’t know what it signifies and how to get OCI card in USA, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s everything you need to know about the OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) Card. It is a Smart card issued to Person of Indian Origin (PIO) who have left India and acquired citizenship in another country.
Aside from the ease of travel and immigration to India and owning property there, holding an OCI card has other advantages. While the Indian government first offered PIO cards, these have since been phased out in favor of OCI cards. Learn about what an OCI Card is, who may apply for one, what documents are required, and how long it takes to get OCI card in USA.
What is an OCI Card?
OCI is a Smart Card given to Person of Indian Origin (PIO) who are migrated from India. Also earned citizenship in another country. The OCI card is a travel document that allows people to enter and exit India without a visa. The card is valid till lifetime to the holder, and there are no restrictions on how many times the holder can enter or exit India. The holder of an OCI card has all the rights and privileges of a regular Indian citizen, including the ability to work and live in India, except the right to vote in Indian elections or hold public office.
If you are planning to visit India soon, then book low-cost Indian Eagle flights for an affordable trip.
Who is Allowed To Apply For An OCI Card?
When applying for an OCI Card, you must meet certain prerequisites. Please keep in mind that you cannot register as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder whether your parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents are or were nationals of Bangladesh or Pakistan.
- You are suitable if you were an Indian resident on or after January 26, 1950.
- If you were eligible to become an Indian citizen on January 26, 1950,
- Born in a region that evolved into a portion of India after August 15, 1947.
- If you are a citizen’s child, grandchild, or great-grandchild.
- An applicant is a minor kid of any of the above-mentioned individuals.
- If the applicant is a minor child whose parents are Indian nationals or one of the parents is an Indian citizen.
So, are you visiting India soon? Know how to book a flight on Indian Eagle to enjoy a budget-friendly and memorable trip.
Steps To Apply For A New OCI Card in US
See here, step by step approach on how to get OCI card in USA:
- Determine the type of OCI card
- Collect All Required Documents
- Fill out the online OCI application form
- Submit Your Mail-In Application and Pay The Application Fee
- Submit Your Physical Application
- Wait For An Email Notification Of Submission
- Wait For Your Application To Be Processed
- Have Your OCI Delivered to You
And are you wondering how long does it take to get OCI card in USA? The time it takes to process an OCI card depends on the volume of applications and the intricacy of the case. After completing an application, it usually takes 6-8 weeks to acquire an OCI card. If you are planning to visit India for a weekend getaway. You can book Indian Eagle tickets at a low cost to enjoy an affordable and memorable trip.
Benefits of OCI Card
- OCI cardholders can enter and exit India without a visa many times.
- You are exempt from reporting the length of your stay to the police.
- Except for the acquisition of agricultural or plantation holdings, cardholders have the same rights as non-resident Indians (NRIs) in economic, financial, and educational spheres.
- Have access to consular services from Indian embassies and posts around the world.
- Doctors, dentists, nurses, pharmacists, advocates, accountants, etc. are permitted to work in India.
- OCI cardholders do not need an exit visa to leave India for any length of time.
This is all about how to get OCI card in USA. There are multiple advantages of possessing an OCI card. However, it is vital to remember that certain activities for OCI cardholders in India are restricted and limited. It includes political and government-related occupations. More information should be obtained from the appropriate authorities. If you are planning a family holiday soon, then compare cheap flights on different travel websites and get the best deals to enjoy a memorable trip.
Do you have any weekend vacation plans in India or the USA? Book Flights to USA at cheap rates and make your travel memorable.
Frequently Asked Questions:-
Who qualifies for an OCI card?
Except Pakistan and Bangladesh residents, people of Indian descent who are foreign nationals and whose ancestors were Indian citizens are entitled to apply for an OCI card.
How can I obtain an OCI card?
You can apply for an OCI card online on the Indian government’s official website or in person at an Indian consulate or embassy.
What documents do I need to submit when applying for an OCI card?
You must show documentation of Indian ancestry, such as a birth certificate or passport, as well as proof of citizenship in your present country of residence, and other documents.
Can I use my OCI card to travel to India?
Yes, you can travel to India without a visa if you have an OCI card.