Christmas is a magical time of the year and in a city like New York, it is celebrated in all its glory. And one of the best things to do in New York is being part of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting. It’s a mesmerizing experience seeing both locals and tourists come together for this ceremony.
The Story Behind the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
The story behind the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is as beautiful as the tree when it is lit. The first Christmas tree at the iconic Rockefeller Center was erected in the year 1931. This was the time when the country and most parts of the world were under the Great Depression. It was then, a group of construction workers took the initiative of spreading smiles on everybody’s faces. They contributed money and purchased a Christmas tree to put it up at the place where the Rockefeller Center was being built in Midtown Manhattan.
A 20 ft balsam fir was decorated with home-made garlands from their families to cut costs. This acted as a ray of hope during the difficult financial situation people had during that time. It was in 1933 that a tree-lighting ceremony was initiated by a Rockefeller Center publicist. And now it has become an annual tradition and people gather in huge numbers to get a glimpse of this tree.
Also Read: Christmas in New York City
Things You Should Know About the Majestic Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
- Approximately 750,000 people visit this tree every day during the holidays.
- The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is around 78 ft in height.
- Almost 45,000 multi-colored LED lights beautify the branches.
- When it was first lit in 1933, nearly 700 lights were used for its decoration.
- A 5-mile-long lights’ wire is wrapped around this iconic Christmas tree.
- This Christmas tree weighs a humongous 10 tons.
- It is further beautified with a 25,000 crystal studded Swarovski star on the top.
- The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is around 80 years old.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where was the Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony held?
A. This special ceremony took place at the Rockefeller Center that is located in Manhattan between 49th and 50th Sts.
2. When did the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting take place this year?
A. The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony 2022 took place on November 30.
3. When can I visit to watch the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree?
A. You can visit the Rockefeller Center from 6 AM to midnight to watch this Christmas tree.
4. Is the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lit on occasion of Christmas?
A. Yes, this tree is lit for 24 hours on Christmas Day. It is also lit from 6 AM to 9 PM on the eve of the New Year.
5. Where is this year’s Christmas tree from?
A. The Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center in 2022 is from Queensbury, NY.
6. Who designed the star that is placed on the top of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree?
A. Popular architect named Daniel Libeskind designed the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree in the year 2018.
If you are in and around New York, you can head to the Rockefeller Center to admire the stunning Christmas tree. So, what are your Christmas plans?