A Chennai travel guide is among the most helpful things you can have if visiting this spectacular South Indian city for the first time. Chennai has been blessed with a scenic landscape, mouthwatering cuisine, and an incredibly rich time-honored history. It would be an understatement to say that Chennai is among the best destinations to explore in India. The capital of Tamil Nadu state, it is home to so many attractions that it leaves first timers utterly confused about where to begin and what to see first! This is where our Chennai travel guide will come in incredibly handy.
Check out the most helpful Chennai travel guide you’ll ever come across and enjoy exploring this gorgeous South Indian city without a single hassle whatsoever! Just let the travel guide Chennai we’ve brought you to guide your way through the visit.
Getting to and from Chennai International Airport:
Whether you’re on a planned vacation or down on last minute flights, you will arrive at the spectacular Chennai International Airport (MAA). The cheapest way to the city from the airport is via the suburban train which you can catch from the Chennai Park Station. There is also the bus service you can make use of. Get the exact Chennai tourist information about buses at the airport help desk and board the right bus likewise. Alternatively, you can hire cabs. You will find prepaid taxi booths outside both terminals of the Chennai International Airport. You can book an Uber or Ola cab as well.
Getting around in Chennai:
Our Chennai travel guide lists many ways to get around in the city. Public buses are operated efficiently by the Metropolitan Transport Corporation, or MTC. Thereby, you will find a vast number of air-conditioned and ordinary buses plying to various parts of the city. Traveling like the locals will add to your amazing Chennai travel experience. However, if public buses aren’t your thing, you can always hire taxis, rent cars, or use auto rickshaws. Although costlier than buses, they are comfortable modes of transport across Chennai.
Where to stay in Chennai:
There are countless options when it comes to accommodation in Chennai. You will find many Chennai travel blogs online that will list some top places to stay in Chennai when arriving on business class flights. Be assured that there are accommodations that suit all types of budget requirements. So pick a place to stay depending on your budget, location, and other requirements. Top places to stay listed by our Chennai travel guide include Old Woodlands, Oriental Inn, Hotel Regent, Westin Park, Lemon Tree Hotel, Courtyard Chennai, ITC Hotel Park Sheraton & Towers, Radisson GRT Hotel, Taj Coromandel, and Trident Chennai among others.
Top things to see and do in Chennai:
Chennai tourism is among the most flourishing ones in the country owing to the number of amazing attractions this splendid city is home to. You will need to make multiple trips to Chennai to as there is simply too much to cover in a single trip! Here’s a look at the best attractions listed by our Chennai travel guide.
- Historical sites: There are several historical places in Chennai that history-loving tourists will be thrilled to explore. Some of the most popular ones you can visit include Fort St. George, the Regional Grand Lodge of Southern India, and Adyar to name a few. You can visit some popular museums as well such as the Government Museum and the National Art Gallery for a detailed peek into Chennai’s incredible past.
- Religious places: Chennai is famously home to some of the most ancient and spectacular temples in South India. The must-visit Kapaleeshwar Temple is perhaps the most popular tourist place in Chennai. Other famous places of worship to visit in Chennai as listed by our Chennai travel guide include Parthasarathy Temple, Ashtalakshmi Temple, Kalikambal Temple, Wallajah Mosque, and St. Thomas Mount among other places.
- Chennai beaches: Some of the most beautiful beaches of South India can be found right here in Chennai. Visited by locals, tourists, families, couples, and friends alike, beaches are among the best places to visit in Chennai. Our Chennai travel guide lists top beaches you can visit such as the Marina Beach, Eliot’s Beach, and Breezy Beach.
- Family attractions: Chennai travel experiences are best when you visit with your family. Popular family attractions you can enjoy in Chennai include Cholamandal Artists’ Village, Queensland Water Park, MGM Dizzee World, Anna Zoological Park, and Guindy National Park to name a few. You can also explore the cultural, music, and food scene in Chennai with your loved ones.
- Shopping spots in Chennai: There are some amazing things you can buy in Chennai at the lowest possible prices. Must-buy items include Kanchivaram sarees, jewelry, handicrafts, ethnic wear, and fabrics of various kinds. Popular Chennai street shopping spots as listed by our Chennai travel guide include Pondy Bazaar, T Nagar, George Town, Mylapore, Anna Nagar, Panagal Park, and Egmore. There are a lot of high-end malls as well in Chennai.
Where and what to eat in Chennai:
You will find a plethora of upmarket restaurants, beach cafes, mid-range eateries, and even street food stalls serving a wide assortment of mouthwatering cuisine in Chennai. Food is a vital part of Chennai tourism. Your trip to this remarkable city will remain incomplete unless you’ve tried some of the most delicious and popular food items in Chennai. Try unfailingly the lip-smacking local dishes that include Idli, Vada, Sambar, Dosa, Chicken 65, Pongal, Crab Rasam, Prawn/Fish Biryani, and Chettinad Chicken among other things.
Popular places to eat in our Chennai travel guide include Amaravathi, Anupama Southern Spice, Madurai Appu, Mughal’s Zaika, Murugan Idli Shop, Pizzaurant, Cafe Mercara, The Residency and scores of other places. Do check beforehand if you need to make reservations when visiting high-end restaurants.
Best time to visit Chennai:
Chennai has a reputation of being one of the hotter regions in India. Thereby, our Chennai travel guide suggests you avoid booking cheap flights to Chennai for a visit during summer. The humidity, scorching sun, and the generally arid climate will wreak havoc on your sightseeing plans. For the best Chennai travel experience, visit any time between November and February. Chennai tourism is best explored during these pleasant winter months without you having to worry about sunburns and heat strokes. So keep our Chennai travel guide in hand and plan a winter visit to this spectacular South Indian city!