San Francisco International Airport, the largest airport in the Bay Area and one of the busiest in the United States, is ranked the best US airport of 2022 by Wall Street Journal. In its 2022 airport rankings, the established international daily rated the 50 busiest US airports against 19 parameters classified under three broad factors – reliability, convenience, and value.
The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) segmented 50 airports into 20 large and 30 mid-size airports (based on the number of passengers) and released the ranking accordingly. San Francisco (SFO), Atlanta (ATL), and Minneapolis (MSP) airports occupied the top three spots in the list of the best large airports in the USA. In the category of mid-size airports, Sacramento Airport (SMF) secured the first place.
With an overall WSJ score of 61, San Francisco International Airport beat its 49 competing airports in various reliability and convenience factors, but it lagged behind several low-ranking airports in its value category. The Wall Street Journal stated that reliability and convenience were their top criteria for ranking the airports in USA.
The ‘reliability’ score was given based on criteria such as on-time performance (both arrival and departure), average flight cancellation, average arrival/departure delays, average taxi-in and taxi-out times, and security clearance time among others. While average domestic fare, airline market share, on-site parking costs, and other charges were measured to determine the ‘value’ score; the ‘convenience’ metrics consisted of Yelp restaurant rating, maximum walking distance, airport’s nonstop destinations, and customer satisfaction.
Here is the WSJ list of the 10 best large airports in USA for the year 2022:
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- Las Vegas International Airport (LAS)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)