Hyderabad is the powerful capital of the youngest state of India, Telangana, and is among the most sought-after travel destinations south of the country. Our Hyderabad travel guide will help first-timers to explore the city to its fullest best. There is so much to see and do in this remarkable city that you cannot expect to cover everything awesome in just one trip. Check our Hyderabad travel guide and plan likewise. You will be able to enjoy exploring Hyderabad’s top attractions easily and can return to cover the remaining ones in future trips.
Use our Hyderabad travel advice and explore this stunning city like never before! Check out the best ever Hyderabad travel guide below!
Getting to and from Rajiv Gandhi International Airport:
Whether you’ve planned a vacation or are arriving on last minute flights, your airplane will land at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (HYD) in Shamshabad about 22 km from Hyderabad. To reach the city from here, you can take one of the air-conditioned buses called Pushpak run by the airport itself. The buses are available at a frequency of half an hour each from 3:30 am to 11:00pm. At midnight, they have a one-hour frequency from 1:00 am to 3:00 am. You can reach various points in the city such as Hi-tech city, Begumpet, Secunderabad, Mehdipatnam, and Charminar, etc. From here, you can take a taxi or auto rickshaw to your hotel. Travel time will depend on the distance and traffic conditions.
Alternatively, you can also use Meru, Avis, and Sky Cabs available right outside the airport to reach your intended destination in the city.
Getting around in Hyderabad:
There are many ways to get around in the city as listed by our Hyderabad travel guide. State-run buses, local trains, and auto rickshaws are good public transport options. Buses and trains are cheaper options when compared to auto rickshaws but can be very crowded. Any local Hyderabad tour guide will suggest the same. Cabs are another convenient option for those who prefer none of the above options. Whatever the mode of transport you choose, keep in mind to install Hyderabad Traffic Police app on your smartphone. The app has an SOS button you can use in case of emergencies.
Where to stay in Hyderabad:
A large part of the Hyderabad travel experience is to stay in a good hotel. There are endless accommodation options in Hyderabad and you can choose depending on your budget. Choose from 3-star and 5-star hotels to resorts and palaces as well! But if you aren’t constrained by budget, there are some spectacular luxury accommodations to enjoy in Hyderabad. Some of the top luxury hotels listed in our Hyderabad travel guide include Taj Falaknuma Palace, Novotel, Park Hyatt, Trident, Minerva Grand Banjara, ITC Kakatiya, Courtyard by Marriott, and The Westin among others. Take your pick and stay at any of these when arriving in the city on comfortable business class flights.
Top things to see and do in Hyderabad:
You will be amazed at the number of places to visit and things to do in Hyderabad! Find a good tourist guide in Hyderabad either online or seek your hotel manager’s assistance in arranging one for you. Take a look at some of the top attractions we’ve listed below to help you plan the perfect itinerary for exploring Hyderabad.
- Historical attractions: History enthusiasts will love exploring Hyderabad’s fascinating past by visiting sites such as the Chowmahalla Palace, Golconda Fort, Hussain Sagar Lake, Qutub Shahi Tombs, Charminar, Salar Jung Museum, Paigah Tombs, Osmania Arts College, Moula Ali Dargah, and Nizam’s Museum among others. Explore the Most Historical and Best Museums in Hyderabad.
- Religious sites: There are several amazing religious spots to explore in Hyderabad. Some of the most important ones listed in our Hyderabad travel guide include the Mecca Masjid, Birla Mandir, ISKCON Temple, Chilkur Balaji Temple, Peddamma Temple, and All Saints Church to name a few.
- Family attractions: If you’re visiting Hyderabad with your loved ones in tow, you can enjoy some of the many family-oriented attractions here. Some of the popular of these family attractions are Ramoji Film city, Durgam Cheruvu, Public Gardens, Nehru Zoological Park, Necklace Road, Snow World, Treasure Island, Lumbini Park, Heritage Walk, Ocean Park, and countless others!
- Pubs and bars: Hyderabad is home to a hip nightlife. Youngsters traveling to the city with their friends can visit some of the many happening pubs and bars across the city. Popular ones include 10 Downing Street, Liquids, Bottles and Chimney, Firangi Paani, Hard Rock Cafe, Sync – Resto Bar, Seventh Heaven and countless more.
- Top shopping spots: Hyderabad is a shopper’s delight. In fact, shopping is one of the top reasons to visit Hyderabad! Our Hyderabad travel guide lists popular shopping spots to explore in the city such as Laad Bazaar, Nampally, Begum Bazaar, Abids, Shilparamam, General Bazaar, Monda Market, Sultan Bazaar, and Moazzam Jahi Market among other places.
Where and what to eat in Hyderabad:
The City of Nawabs is every foodie’s dream come true! Influences of the Nizams, Mughals, and typical South Indian culture can be seen in the cuisine of the city. Royally rich in flavor, the spice-infused Hyderabadi food is among the largest attractions of the city. In fact, you can take a Hyderabad private tour guide just to explore the food scene in the city! An absolute must-try in every Hyderabad travel guide is Biryani, the lip-smacking and delicious signature dish of Hyderabad. Accompanied by the tangy Mirchi ka salan, this mouthwatering dish is one of the top things that people keep coming back to the city for. Other popular items to try include Double ka Meetha, Keema Samosa, Lukhmi, Haleem, Irani Chai, and Khubani ka Meetha to name a few.
Paradise is one of the biggest and best restaurant chains in Hyderabad. So visit one of its branches across the city if you wish to feast on a plate of delicious Biryani. Some other popular places to eat at in Hyderabad include Cafe Bahar, Shadab Hotel, Hyderabad House, Alpha Hotel, Chutneys (for vegans), Taj Mahal Restaurant, Bowl O’ China, Barbeque Nation, Mainland China, 4 Seasons, etc. There are some popular bakeries as well that you can try such as Karachi Bakery, Pulla Reddy Sweets, Pista House, Universal Bakers, and The Chocolate Room among others.
Best time to visit Hyderabad:
Generally speaking, any time is a good time to visit Hyderabad. However, since temperatures tend to soar a bit too much during summer, it’s best to avoid visiting during this time. According to our Hyderabad travel guide, you can book cheap flights to Hyderabad for a trip any time between the months of October and March. The end of October is the last of rainfall with winter setting in soon. Although winter can be a bit harsh at times, it is still a pleasant time to have the best of Hyderabad travel experience. So check our Hyderabad travel guide thoroughly, make use of or Hyderabad travel advice and enjoy the very best of this remarkable city!