With Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh finally being approved, air travelers to the state can now fly directly to the state capital, Itanagar. Hollongi Airport, or Itanagar Airport Arunachal Pradesh, is a big step towards boosting tourism in the stunning Northeast Indian state. To be constructed about 25 km from the capital Itanagar, the Hollongi Arunachal Pradesh Airport is expected to cost approximately INR 1055-1200 crores. Reportedly, it will have facilities that will outmatch the Pakyong Airport which was recently inaugurated in Sikkim.
Pema Khandu, the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh claimed the new airport in Arunachal Pradesh will have state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure. The CM also affirmed that besides improved air connectivity, the Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh will actuate economic development in the region as well.
Facts about Itanagar Airport Arunachal Pradesh:
A much-awaited venture, the new airport in Arunachal Pradesh is one that the residents in the region are looking forward to eagerly. Here are a few basic facts about the upcoming Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Hollongi Airport is set to be built around 25 km from the capital Itanagar. It will be constructed over 320 hectares of land by the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- The airport is reportedly to cost around INR 1055-1200 crores.
- Hollongi located in Papum Pare district was chosen as the location for the new airport in Arunachal Pradesh since it is principally a flat land.
- A greenfield airport, the Itanagar Airport Arunachal Pradesh promises to have a runway about 2,200 meters long. The runway will also be well-able to accommodate jet aircraft.
- The Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh will reportedly have facilities and infrastructure that will outdo the newly-inaugurated Pakyong Airport in the state of Sikkim.
- The Itanagar Airport project includes plans for a five-star hotel as well as a convention center.
- There are plans to enable international services at the Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh sometime in the future.
What this means for the other airports in Arunachal Pradesh:
The Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh will not be the first or sole airport in the Northeastern state. There are already a couple of airports in Arunachal Pradesh – Tezu Airport Tezu, Arunachal Pradesh; Pasighat Airport Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh; and Ziro Airport Old Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh. While commercial flights to Pasighat Airport and the others have been underway for a while, travelers hoping to visit the state capital will be able to fly directly to Itanagar Airport once it’s operational.
“A lot of travelers regularly book cheap flights to India from USA for a holiday. Most of them who wish to see the Northeastern states will have Itanagar in Arunachal Pradesh included in their itinerary. While Pasighat Airport has so far been the popular choice to reach the state, the upcoming Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh will probably take its place soon. It will be very easy for travelers to book cheap flights to Kolkata International Airport (CCU) and take a connecting one to Itanagar Airport Arunachal Pradesh from there. If the plans to make the Itanagar Airport an international one come through soon, travelers will be able to fly directly to the state capital! The Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh is a big step in boosting tourism and connectivity in the northeastern state,” says a booking agent associated with Indian Eagle travel agency based in the US.
The bottomline on Itanagar Airport Arunachal Pradesh:
The plans to construct a new airport in Arunachal Pradesh were formed as early as 2007. However, owing to the disagreement between the state government and the Airports Authority of India (AAI), the airport project kept getting delayed. Now that the airport project plans seem to have been set in motion, there’s no looking back for the state of Arunachal Pradesh. While the states of Assam, Sikkim, and Nagaland have been enticing travelers for some time now, Arunachal Pradesh should soon join the bandwagon with easy connectivity. As soon as Hollongi Airport in Arunachal Pradesh throws open commercial flight services, you can expect a horde of travelers to start booking trips to the state.